Write, Ready, Edit
This is the roundup of blog posts and off-site resources that will help you write your book (or speech, or app script…), find an editor, and navigate the editing process.
Congratulations! You are on the road to publication. It’s a lot of hard work, and you will be proud of what comes out in the end.
- Blog the first draft
- Speak the first draft
- Conquering writer’s paralysis (aka writer’s block)
- How to start writing a book
- How long should my writing be?
- Fiction writing tips such as dialect and POV: Penultimate Word
- How to publish your book — the options
- How long does it take to produce a book?
- Three signs that it’s time to get a second opinion on your draft — see-saw, over-editing, & major changes
- Infodump with style — funny but practical tips for inserting information without ruining the story
On Getting Ready for Editing
- How long various stages of editing take — with various stages / types of editing explained
- Ready for an editor? Start here
- What an editor does and how to find one
- How to find an editor who is a good fit (checklist)
- How to prepare your editor — explaining your needs
- Which Editorial Service Do I Need? (infographic)
- Why editing matters in self-publishing — interview with SP award winner
- Back cover blurbs
- How a book is born — infographic insights into workflow (reality)
On Working With Your Editor
Look, you rock star, this is going to be great. Here’s how it works:
- Get your manuscript ready for the editor and save money on editing costs (not about formatting)
- Styling decisions — word choice and punctuation
- Instantly estimate the cost and time needed for editing
- What to do with an edited Word file — navigating the tracked changes *video demo
About Working With Me
If you think your project is a good match for my experience and specialties, I’d be happy to talk with you about it. I will even recommend other editors who might be a better match, if that is the case.
I try to be fun to work with, but I promise to give you the full scrutiny of my certified copy editor eyes.
New: Now offering kick-in-the-pants services to help keep your project on track. Some people say that falls under the heading of project management, FYI.
Get Updates On This Resource
There are more blog posts in the cue. To get notification by email when a new post is published, sign up for the feed (below). Note that this feed notifies you of all posts, not just those in the Client Kit, but nothing else is ever emailed.
Enter your email address:Delivered by FeedBurner
Photos on this page are by Drew Coffman, used under CC BY-2.0 license.