This is the draft syllabus for the Summer 2014 course. Jump to Word Syllabus.
Here’s the promo video I made when I ran the first course years ago:
When and why PDFs are used Week 1
- What is a PDF?
- Why are PDFs used?
- Why are PDFs used in publishing?
Features that set PDF editing apart from hard copy
- Viewing options
- Markup techniques
- Drawing tools
- Setting tool properties
Beyond the e-pencil, Annotations Week 2
- Proofreader’s stamps
- Dynamic stamps
- Create and install custom stamps
- Signatures and initials
Quality control checklist
- Comments list
- Sorting “comments”, type, author, date, page
File Attachment Tool Week 3
— and looking at them/ opening them after
select multiple objects to copy and paste
access hidden toolbars
find word count
Advanced Acrobatics Week 4
Functions and tips for editorial pros using Acrobat Pro XI (or 9).
- customize the toolbar
- search several PDF files at once
- compile files to combine reviewers’ markup
- compare documents tool
- apply a watermark
- summarize comments in a PDF output (not hard copy)
- add bookmarks to create document map (e-index)
- add links, internal and external
- copying and pasting PDF pages from one PDF to another
- copying snippets/ snapshots & pasting them